Monday, May 02, 2011

I am Jack's Religious Introspective Insight

Tyler Durden: Shut up! Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God?
Narrator: No, no, I... don't...
Tyler Durden: Listen to me! You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen.
Narrator: It isn't?


While I do have many aspects of philosophical nihilism incorporated into my spiritual and philosophical beliefs I want to reflect on this for a moment in a less nihilistic capacity. We see in Judaism Abraham being asked to sacrifice his only favored and effectively only son, who he had at an age that is staggering to the modern mind. G-d who promised him a great nation asked of him to take that son and put him on a high mountain and take his life. G-d did this to see how deep the devotion of Abraham was. We see also in the Book of Job a man confronted with bad things happening to him and the overall message (as I see it) is you cannot comprehend G-d. Here in extremes we see two opposite poles. G-d is infinite and unknowable, but we come to know g-d by the presence of his hand in creation tracing a line through the stream of history.

I think G-d is bigger then just a representation of our fathers. Our mother is also there, as is the larger fullness of our family and community. As g-d made things finite and tangible so he could come to us and express himself to us, so we follow his example and try to understand him.

I have a relationship with g-d where he 'speaks' to me. But I now have been given cause to reflect. Is my connection and relationship to g-d driven my the lack of clarity caused by my family life, or does g-d approach me with that tone and message because these pathways are already born into me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home